I understand that the biker mice are characters that belong to their creators and distributors. This story was written for fun and I make no profit from it's publication.


Jeanie of Dragonhold


By Sara Antoine, copyright July,1997




The sun was just starting to peek over Chicago as the biker mice stopped by at the Last Chance Garage to pick up Charlie. Throttle towed behind him a trailer equipped with lots of picnic munchies, bathing suites, a beach umbrella, a boom box, and other vacation miscellaneous.
"Hey, Charlie ma'am!" Modo's voice rang out loud and clear. "Ya' ready for some fun in the sun?"
"Not to mention my famous spaghetti and meat balls with hot chilly sauce on a bun!" Vinnie said smearing the mixture on a hot dog bun.
"Not before she rides she's not." Throttle said taking the dog out of the slack jawed Vinnie's hand and shoving it into his mouth.
"Not unless YOU want to stop at every other gas station on the way out of town!" Modo said reaching out to grab Vinnie's nose and jaw and clamping his mouth shut. First the meatballs popped out, most of them hitting Modo, and then the spaghetti slid out and landed in a gooey pile on the pavement.
Charlie smiled, for she had been listening from the door. She was relieved, she could remember the situation Modo spoke of. Vinnie had convinced her to swallow down some of his spaghetti just before a call came in over the scanner announcing a riot. In the middle of the riot Modo got a message on the com from a friend of there's saying that Limburger had a small army of wrecking machines headed for the Sweet Georgey Brown radio station and they had to split apart from the group. They stopped at every gas station on the way and anywhere else that had bushes. By the time they got their Throttle and Vinnie had already destroyed them and were cleaning up there fifth helping of Chinese food.
She emerged wearing shades, cutoff shorts and a red halter top dotted with small white flowers under a leather jacket.
Both Modo and Throttle dropped their jaws. Vinnie choked on the hot sauce, swallowing half and sending the other half spewing across the drive way or dribbling down his chin.
"Ready and waiting," she said dumping her duffle bag into Throttle's trailer and hopping on behind Vinnie. She slipped on her helmet.
The guys were still staring. "So you decided to call this thing off or what?"
Vinnie was the first to speak. "Not in a million years sweetheart! It's road trip time!" They all revved up and sped off, Vinnie finally notices the big red smudge on his chin and tries in vain to rub it off.

They had been going nonstop for the past two and a half hours. Vinnie was bored with just plane driving , their had been no traffic or anything since they left the garage. He punched a few buttons on his bike then back flipped and landed in the trailer. His bike swerved dangerously as Charlie tried to gain control.
"Are you INSANE!!!!???
"Hey relax Charlie girl, just take the wheel for me. She'll behave."
He rooted around in the trailer and pulled out a sail board. First he took off the sail and attached it to a skateboard. Like clockwork as soon as he was ready his bike shoot out a tow line, he caught it in mid air and clamped it onto his new invention.
He put the board on the ledge of the trailer and shouted, "Ok Charlie, punch It!"
She did, at the same time Throttle stopped short and turned so as not to be rear ended by his own trailer. This sent Vinnie flying tail over tea kettle, just barely managing to stand through the rough landing.
"Finally, something mildly interesting." He said skidding across the road.
Throttle pulled up beside Charlie. "Are you sure you want to go?"
"Why wouldn't I?"
"No reason." There was an uncomfortable pause before Throttle decided to finish. "I just thought it might be more of a concern with Limburger trying to steel your garage and everything else that's happening."
Charlie grinned, "Up until this morning I was thinking the same thing. You know Greaspit and his goons were put in jail for starting that riot way back when right?"
"Yeah but it's not hard to get goons and any commander would be a better commander than Greaspit."
"Very true. But, you didn't hear the report I heard this morning. Doctor Karbunkle has been charged with genetically altering some rich kid and his parents want him in jail for life! And....."
"Gee the poor kid, how's he taking it?
"Just great, he loves the changes, now he can fly, he can breath underwater and he can see in the dark using sonar, not to mention all the attention. But you interrupted me. The parents are also charging Limburger because he neglected to notice that his employee was turning a child into a bird boy! Oh man it'll take his lawyers a few years to get them out of that! Besides we all really do need some time off."
"Can't argue with you there. So what you got planned anyhow?
Modo hearing something interesting stopped trying to take embarrassing snapshots of Vinnie's chin and pulled up on the other side of Charlie to listen.
"We're going to cross a bridge in another twenty minutes. It'll take us to a ferry terminal which will take us to Canada. That's where my mom's cousin will be waiting for us in his boat. We're going to visit him on his private island for a few days.
"You said something about a bridge?" from Throttle.
"Yeah,"said Charlie.
"Well we better get Vinnie off that thing. There's getting to be allot more traffic and there'll probably be a long wait on the bridge." Modo replied pointing at the bridge just up ahead."
"Oh,"Charlie turned sharply onto a dirt road. It Launched Vinnie into the air and sent him crashing into a tree. "Hey! Don't rip the sail, it's the only one we have!"
It took them a whole two hours to get him and the board out of the tree without any damage to either one. By then they had missed their boat and had to wait another three hours for the next one.
"Well we've got time to kill, we might as well cross the bridge and see what there is to see." Charlie said pointing in that direction.
Everyone's mood was light and playful as they stopped to snack under a big tree. The air was fresh, the grass was green, the food was good and the root beer was cold. All ate their fill and set off feeling all the better for it.
"Hey bros I can see something moving up there!" Modo pointed up to the frame work of the bridge.
Sure enough there were two figures high above. They seemed to be performing some kind of dance or acrobatic show, throwing themselves off the bridge spinning and flipping only to be caught by the other and tossed back.
"Those idiots aren't using a net or any safety straps!" Throttle gasped tilting his glasses down to take another look.
There was a sharp cry from Charlie. One of the performers had dived for the hooped arms of the other and instead of being caught it slipped right through and kept on going.
"Modo kick it! She's headed straight off the bridge!" Throttle ordered.
Modo pulled a wheely and rocketed up to intercept the lady that was falling. He caught her in mid somersault with his right arm knocking the wind out of her. She gasped and tried to say something then blacked out.
"Hey big guy! You missed the other one!" Vinnie shouted.
They both raced to the spot where they judged she would land. Neither made it for they had a head on collision half way there. Charlie was sent flying over both their heads and slamming into the pavement.
Throttle shook his head as one would when dealing with the antics of children. He eased his bike ahead a few inches then reached out and caught the second girl. Who promptly stood up stormed over to Vinnie and Modo and whacked them upside the head.
"What the bloody hell did you think you were doing? You ruined a perfectly good free fall exit! What in blazes did you think would happen to me if she wasn't there to catch me?" she pointed at the taller girl who was just starting to wake up. "It's a good thing your friend isn't such a bad aim!"
By this time the taller girl had recovered enough to understand what was going on. "Aw come on Row," she said standing up, "You know how we designed our free falls to look like slip ups, this just shows how well we designed them."
"But....."
"At any rate I'm sure these..." she paused a moment to glance at the fir and the tails. She touched Modo's arm and he felt a tingle like someone was rubbing a balloon on his fir. "Martian Mice," arching her brow curiously as she said it, "meant no harm."
"But but but....."
"Now I'm sure Binxe is probably starving, the poor dear hasn't had anything since breakfast. Why don't you take him into town and get some munchies."
From somewhere behind them came out a giant black floppy eared dog. At the head it was just slightly taller than the short girl. It reached down and nuzzled her shoulder. The anger melted off her face as she to acknowledge him.
"Okay Binxe ol' boy, let's go." she took a hold of the harness he wore and used it to haul herself onto his back. With a joyful yelp he was off.
"Hey! I can't go into town dressed like this!" She pointed to her black skin tight leather suite.
"Your shirt's in the right front pouch." the tall girl shouted after her.
"Hi,"she said finally turning around to meet them, "You just met my friends Rowina and Binxe. My name is Jeanie Harper, Kythe master of the first rank."she looked at Charlie who was still staring after Rowina even though she was already out of sight. She didn't seem to notice that her jacket was ripped and that she was covered in scrapes cuts and bruises. "Say lady, that's some road rash. D'ya think you can get up?"
"She looks just like I did when I was sixteen." Charlie murmured.
"Yeah well," Jeanie chuckled, "sometimes things turn out that way don't they? Up you get. The ferry's coming in an hour'n'a half and this place will be packed with over eager early birds trying to skip past the crowds." Jeanie set her on her feet and walked with her to the side of the road. "Here, use this on your cuts to stop infection. It'll sting a little but it will help allot. As for what else you can do, I think you better drop by HQ and have my friend take a look at that. He's the best healer around! He even humbles my master!"at this she dropped a hardened leather bag on Charlie's lap and headed off in the opposite direction as her friend went.
Up until then they had been too busy just looking at her to really register what she was saying. Her style and untamed look set her apart from everyone and everything else. She was tall, (a towering 5'10 to be exact) streamline and had wild wavy red hair all the way down to her waist. She wore a skin tight emerald green suite under a dark green sleeveless tunic that matched her eyes and her headband. That was neatly tucked into her utility belt. To top it all off she was shod in doe skin boots, and a purple crystal on a leather thong around her neck. In the center of her forehead on her headband a drop of frozen fire clung glowing a soft white.
They didn't realize she was walking away until she was almost off the bridge.
"Hey, where ya headed?" from Throttle.
"Chicago. See ya when you get back from vacation."
"How did she know we were on vacation?" asked Vinnie.
"Yeah, we didn't say anything. Did we?" Modo pondered. They all looked at each other and shook there heads.
"We probably did but just don't remember it," Charlie said. "Turn on some tunes would ya Modo."
"Sure," he flipped on the radio which must have been accidentally turned off.
From then on everybody's mood had turned pensive, no one talked, they all just road. Dark clouds formed on the horizon and started rolling south. Modo was about to turn off the radio when he heard something interesting.
"Hey rock fans," the radio piped in, "we pause to bring you this special news bulletin. The felon known as Greasepit and his gang have just busted out of prison, taking their cohort Dr Karbunkle. Citizens are warned to avoid contact with these criminals. They were last seen headed for the pits. People living or traveling in the area are warned to keep all windows and doors locked and not to venture outside. If you see them or hear any information on their where-abouts please call your local police precinct. Again do NOT approach them! These are desperate men and may try to take hostages. Now back to heavy metal rock and RO'OLL!"
"Aw geeze. I guess I better call uncle Jack and let him know something came up." Charlie moaned.

***


A doe loped gracefully along a mossy path that bobbed and weaved through dense forest. It's nose in the air searching for any scent of man. Especially the city. She caught on to it and her gentle lope became an all out run.
She came to a stop on a hill just above the city. The other deer who were grazing paused to look up at her reverently. The purple crystal at her throat glittered in the fading sunlight. The gem began to glow and the doe let out a shriek of pain. It reared on it's hind legs, rocking from side to side. The body began to look less and less like a doe. Hooves turned into hands and feet. long hair flowed from an increasingly human head. The last change to take place was the fir melting away. With a heart beating at a dangerously fast pace and breathing barely possible with lungs hot and dry and aching. The person could do little but fall to her knees and weep.
When she recovered enough to stop crying and look up the sky was in darkness and the other deer were still looking tentatively at it her.
"What are YOU staring at? Haven't you ever seen a transformation before?"
All at once the deer obediently turned back to their grazing.

***


Back on the road some two hours out of Chicago, the clouds had overtaken overtaken the setting sun, bringing premature darkness.
I'm worried about that girl. It took us a whole four to get to the bridge on a bike. She couldn't have gotten this far on foot." Modo said. It had been the first thing anyone said all evening.
"Relax bro, I bet she just hitch a ride with someone and is all ready in Chicago." said Vinnie.
"Not exactly the most comforting thought" Charlie chided.
"Hey sweetheart!"
Throttle could see that this was really bugging Modo. "I saw a gas station and a motel back their, she probably stopped for the night. No one in their right mind would go on this road alone at night."
"Your probably right bro," he made a show of leaning back and putting his feet on the handle bars. But his voice didn't sound so relieved as he tried to look.

***


It was dark and foggy in Chicago. Whatever light the street lamps managed to cast only made things worse by making it look like there were buildings and side walks where there weren't. The fog was so thick that it didn't afford a view of what one held under there nose.
Jeanie walked through the city streets slightly disoriented, queasy and very sore. Her pearl glowed brighter now and lit the way where streetlights failed. In her delirium she stumbled into the back of a big man.
"So sorry sir." she muttered an apology and was about to take her leave when the man took her by the arm.
"Quite All right ma'am. Oh! You don't look so well. Here let me help."
Before she could protest she found herself being lead through the crowd which co-operatively parted before her, all smiles. Now you must understand that through the pain, dimness and the cold, compounded with the unexpected shock of kindness Jeanie's instincts weren't coming in as clearly and as quickly as they usually do. Before she realized what was happening she was grabbed roughly by the collar of her tunic and hefted into the air.
"Now listen up you stink in' cops! We gots ourselves a hostage here, see? And if we don't get our demands met by sunrise the little red head get her head blown off!"
Jeanie was slammed into the ground. She looked up at her tormentor in rage. This was IT, the last straw! Not only was she cold, sore, tired, and sick, but now.. Now she was forced to sit here and be the pawn of some big apes plan of escape! She plunged her fists into the cement and began to wail. Her wailing took on the shape of a melody. It's tunes and rhythms where ancient and and wild. Remembered only by herself and vaguely in the dreams of sleeping gods deep beneath the earth. Powers so long dormant and dissipated began to awaken and take shape again. Someone tried to wake her up by slamming her in the back with an iron crow bar but she would not be silenced by such scum! The pavement cracked and shattered. Trees began to grow at hundreds of times the speed they normally do. They wrapped themselves around the gang members, twisting and pushing at certain nerves to make them drop their guns. After a few moments she stopped singing and the trees were still, all was silent.
Jeanie picked herself up feeling much better about herself and walked past the policemen who stood gape mouthed, guns hanging limply in their fingers.
"Hey you!" one of the commanding officers cried pointing his gun after her.
She stopped, "Yes?"
"You do realize that you'll have to come with us for questioning."
"No I won't"
"And what makes you think that?"
"Because you've seen what I can do and your too frightened of me to try and make me do anything."she replied curtly and left.
"Do you want to report that last bit?" he said looking at his partner.
"Nope. You?"
"Uh uh." They both turned around to look at the other officers who all shook their heads in unison.
Eventually she managed to find the building on top of which she had settled her home. She climbed the fire escape up to the roof and was greeted by a welcoming sight. The cylinder shape with battlements all around and one big tower in the center. It seemed to fend off the fog and the cold just by it's stoutness. Trothina was holding the great dragon door open for her. Saving a long trip up to the terrace. As soon as she was in the door Troth swooped her up in her giant wing and turned to escorted her to the table. Closing the door with her tail. Once at the table she was served with a mug of Duon (works like coffee only better and tastes like chocolate only better), roast, fry bread and bubbly pie. When she finished all that she sat for a few moments digesting and contemplating on her day. Somewhere across the room someone cleared there throat.
"Sorry Talmor didn't see you there." Jeanie mumbled
"Another painful transformation?"
"Yup"
"What did you manage to turn yourself into this time?"
"Doe."
"If it hurts so much how come you put yourself through that?"
"Because my master told me to. He said it had to do with performance under extreme conditions. Personally I think he's having second thoughts about making me a master so he's giving me knight work just to make sure."
"You can't be serious. Eight bullet wounds, a broken arm, a mild concussion and a compound fracture in each hand and you still managed to stay standing. What does he want out of you anyway?"
"The impossible," Jeanie said matter of factly, "and that's just for the knights. Now that I'm a master I don't know where to go. There's no path laid out for me like there used to be. *sigh."
Jeanie suddenly leapt up, nearly topple the table and her chair. "Woah!!"
"Duon finally kick in?"
"Yup!" she held her hands over her jangling head.
"See ya in the morning. I'm going to bed."
"Already?"
Talmor laughed, "I've got to be home early in the morning. My cousin the king wants me by when he opens the gates for his wedding." He put a hand to his forehead and said in a long suffering voice, "Oh how I detest this rich food! Cakes and truffles give me such horrible indigestion."
She pretended to dab her eyes and mimicked his tones saying, "Royalty is such a rough life!"
They both chuckled and told each other what terrible actors they were. Talmor went to a small door knocked on it twice and went in.
The dragonets saw their chance and came running to Jeanie with her lyre in hand. There faces were practically glowing with anticipation.
"No not tonight guys we've got company coming."
The smallest one, Suz sighed and they all plopped the lyre back on the shelf.
Suz was of silver hue. Her scales were so soft and tiny that she could easily be mistaken for a soft skin like the other three. She was a queen dragon, however. The only one out of the four with the capacity to achieve human speech, hence the others depended on her for communication with strangers.
Seeing her small friends disappointment Jeanie offered, "Maybe we have a little time for a short game of Jeanie ball."

***


There were crashing sounds coming from the big tower as the mice pulled up.
"I've never seen this here before and we drive by here almost every day." Vinnie said as they pulled to a stop at the bottom of the building.
"Then this must be the place." said Modo "See any way up?
"Just the usual. Hold on sweetheart!" Vinnie said turning to Charlie.
They rode up the side of the building all the way to the terrace. Noise literally exploded out of the door as they opened it.
Nothing could have surprised them more than what greeted there eyes. A giant blue dragon about the size of an elephant was standing in the center of the circle shaped main room. It was slamming something around the room as fast and hard as it could, using it's tail as a bat. Only when they looked closer could they see it was Jeanie. She riccochaed from one wall to the other, then landed with both feet on the floor.
"Welcome to Dragonhold." The tail came at her again. It slammed into her stomach.
"I wasn't reeeeaaadyyy!!!!" she shouted as she flew through the air. "Oof!!" she hit the wall and slid down to the floor beside them.
That was all the evidence the bros needed. They targeted their guns (which they already had out) on the thing and fired.
The dragon had felt pretty bad when she realized that her friend hadn't been ready. She had felt the sudden shock and pain in her belly just as Jeanie had. When she tried to reach out to her friend the funny little creatures that had been watching them shot out beams that stung her. A little annoyed she swept them aside and tried to get to her friend again one of the furry things blocked her way and shot her in the face. Now she was angry. She stomped her feet and opened her mouth baring her sharp teeth. Maybe I can scare it away she thought. It didn't work. The big ear only stung her tongue with it's beams. QUIT IT!! She focused her thoughts at it. The little gray thing was stunned enough to stop for a moment. The dragon snatched up the the chance and scooped that one up in her mouth. She jumped up and down in frustration, her eyes turning from amber to red. The other two wouldn't STOP! Then she stopped as she noticed that a human was helping her friend to her feet. Jeanie was ok. Please make them stop. This starting to sting. The dragon thought at her.
"Guys," Jeanie started. They didn't stop shooting. "Guys!!" No response "EXCUSE ME!!!" Nothing. She frowned in concentrated Throttle and Vinnie began to rise off the floor. They spun around in the air until they were facing Jeanie and Charlie. Vinnie was still on a battle high and was about to fire with his bazooka when Throttle knocked it out of his hand.
"Thank you," they were eased down to the floor. "Now," she said in a calm and reasonable tone, "my dragon and I would very much appreciate it if you wouldn't play with guns in the house."
"But what about Modo?" Throttle said.
"Troth if you would please."
Oops. I already swallowed him. Troth purposely projected her thoughts to everyone of them. Everybody except Jeanie looked dismayed. Especially Charlie. She had wanted a tiny revenge against the ones who were shooting her, not to upset the human. Just kidding.
"Very funny Chuckles, now spit him up."
At her riders orders Troth reluctantly opened her mouth and a very slimy and disgruntled Modo rolled off her tongue and onto the floor.
"Uuch, talk about wet and wild."
Come on in, have a seat." Jeanie said climbing the ladder down from the loft on the terrace level down to where her dragon was sitting on her haunches.
"Actually I'd rather not," said Modo, a little embarrassed. His hands and boots were too slippery so he gave up on climbing down and decided to jump instead. He was surprised when Troth caught him and set him down gently.
"Uuh thanks," he said hesitantly.
"You said you had a friend who could help Charlie. Throttle said when he had reached the bottom.
"I'll go get him out of the garden. There's a place where you can clean up in there if you want, Modo. Suz, Belle," she looked at her two little queens, "Help Scarlet and Forest get these people some food. See that the two of them don't get into trouble." With that she knocked four times at the same door that Talmor had gone through and entered holding her stomach in pain as she went. Modo wasn't far behind.
The smell of fruits and flowers wafted out of the room. Before the door closed Charlie caught a glimpse of green plants, a pool and a waterfall running into it.
When Jeanie came out again every bodies mouths dropped for behind her followed a giant beast. So big that Jeanie only came up to where it's legs met it's body. It clipped along on four big golden hooves. Fur the color of the full moon covered it's barrel chest and broad back. From it's neck flowed long wavy locks of black mane that shone like polished obsidian.
Above and between two blue eyes sprung a long golden horn whose light would put the sun to shame.
"I understand you had a small accident." it's voice lilted melodically.
"Uh, yes." Charlie felt the inexplicable need to add "sir".
"I see. Jeanie would you come here for a moment? Can you tell me the nature of this wound?" He pointed at it with his horn.
"Yes. It's a deep cut in the back of the calf. Muscle tissue has been damaged bringing the patient very close to being... um, ham strung?
"Good. Using your kythe powers what effect would healing this kind of wound have on you?"
"Most likely dizziness, disorientation, maybe a slight headache."
"Do you know why?"
"Uh.."
"It's because you always panic and use the energy from within you. You don't draw on other available sources. Why?"
"Uh.." for the first time since the biker mice met her Jeanie actually sounded sheepish.
"Never mind. Try it now."
"Excuse me but do I get a say in this?" Charlie sounded nervous. She didn't know if she liked the idea of being a guinea pig.
"Of coarse not," the unicorn said bluntly.
"Well I ne..." one steely look from the unicorn shut her up.
"Go ahead Jeanie pick a source and draw from it."
White light began to rise like steam from her hands. It began to gather and and swirled around her hands and flow into the injured leg.
Just then the he realized that his horn's light was beginning to flicker and dim.
"Not from me you nit wit!"
"Well do YOU know of any other readily available sources of energy?"
"Uh." Now she had HIM sounding sheepish.
"There, I'm done now any way." Jeanie said smartly. "By the way," she turned to the bros, "his name is Trodar."
Trodar was quite surprised, the whole leg had been healed. Jeanie flashed him a "so there" smile.
"How do you feel."
"A little tired but otherwise all right."
"I suppose that's to be expected considering you've never done it this way before." he finished healing Charlie and walked to the door tapped four times with his horn. Before entering he turned to face them and bowed "Good day all." and then he left.
Jeanie looked after him puzzledly. She shrugged and smiled at them as if to say. "He's not usually like this honest."
"So what's the deal babe?" Throttle demanded.
"Huh?" Jeanie looked puzzled.
"Yeah," Vinnie added, "I mean you ask us over, we come in and find you getting slammed around by this big lizard thing, which we find out to be yours and..."
"Actually SHE is a dragon," Both Charlie and Jeanie said at the same time. They stopped short and looked at each other. Jeanie raised her eyebrows questioningly.
"And as far as being slammed around the room goes, that's there favorite game." Troth gave an affirmative coo from where she lie on a big red cushion on the other side of the room.
"Their favorite game." Vinnie said softly, as though to question her sanity.
"I think what Vinnie means is we want to know exactly who are you, where do you come from, how do you do the weird stuff you do?"
I already told you that. My name is Jeanie Harper, I'm a Kythe master of the first rank. Those weird things as you call them are what masters do. Or at least that's what I think I'm supposed to do." she added, a little self doubt creeping into her voice.
"Hmm," said Throttle thoughtfully, "You still haven't told us where your from."
"You could say that I'm not from around here."
"Meaning not from Chicago or not from this planet," Vinnie probed.
"Well I'm not from Chicago," Jeanie started hesitantly, "but I am from Earth."
"Then how come I've never heard about Kythe," Charlie piped in.
"Like I said I am from Earth just another possibility. There wasn't any Kythe where I originally come from either."
"Exactly WHERE is that, and what do you mean by a possibility?" from Throttle.
"It's not too much different than this world. But it has no Martians, no Plutarkians, nothing exiting ever happens. Now that I've seen everything I've seen and done everything I've done I like to think of it as Mundania. What I mean by a possibility is a different reality or dimension, a something that could have been somewhere or everywhere but you can only find it in one reality or section of the multiverse.
"Multivers?" form Vinnie.
"You know how every reality has it's own universe. Well the multiverse is the whole mass of an infinite number of possibilities. Which itself could be one person, or one tiny particle in a grain of sand."
"Woah." Throttle sounded dumbfounded.
"Yea that's what I thought when my master told me that."
Modo had walked in half way through the conversation, all dry and squeaky clean, he now sat listening and eating his food.
Jeanie was obviously reluctant to pursue the subject any further. So they asked easier questions about her dragons, her home and how she got it on top of the building.
It turned out her dragonets were all minor telepaths and softskins (except for Suz of coarse). Her dragon's name was Troth and she was a soft skin and a telepath too. Jeanie had made Dragonhold for them. She managed to take it with her to where ever she wanted to go by using a shrink spell a friend taught her and put it in her pocket. Even Modo and Charlie couldn't swallow this.
Jeanie defended her case simply by saying, "Well I made those two float off the ground didn't I? How could that be less believable than shrinking things?"
Charlie and the bros looked at each other. None of them could argue with that.
Supper was finished and they had grilled her longer than was polite. They shared their goodbyes and promised to meet again tomorrow and went home. Charlie and Modo- who had grown a fondness for the big blue dragon- walked over to her and scratched her giraffe like horns and mussed the black tuft of hair that sprang from the top of her head. Charlie noted how soft and silky dragon hide felt but she figure it must be tougher than it seemed to stand up to so many lazer shots without even a nick.
After the company left and the dishes were done Jeanie went to bed. Trodar Troth and the dragonets remained awake.
Trodar gave them all a steely look and said "You and I need to have a long talk."
"'Bout what?" asked Suz.
"About the proper care and handling of the resident dragonrider!" Trodar stomped angrily.
They all looked at each other shamefaced. They were all in big trouble and at the very least had a long lecture coming to them.

***


When the biker mice got back on the road and headed for The Last Chance Garage they started talking all at once.
"Wasn't that spooky, how did she know about Plutarkians?"
"How but that furry jerk with the thing sticking out of his head."
"Actually I don't think he was that bad. Maybe like an over protective parent, but only just a little"
"Aw come on Charlie! Just a little? That thing was giving orders left and right like he was a king or something."
"She said her friends were telepaths so maybe they told her. I wonder how old she is."
"Huh?" everybody stopped and looked at Modo
"Just an innocent question," Modo defended himself, a little embarrassed.
"Big fella's got a point," Charlie said thoughtfully.
"I do?"
"Yeah I mean did you look at her face? She doesn't look older than thirteen. But if you consider her height and the way she conducts herself you know she's got WAY more experience than a thirteen year old could have."
"Well we don't know much about judging the age of humans. How old do you think she is?" asked Throttle.
"Couldn't be much older than eighteen."
Vinnie Modo and Charlie were about to start tossing around some more questions and theories when Throttle stopped them.
"I don't know what you guys think about this but as far as things go I don't think we should trust her just yet.
"What do ya mean?" asked Vinnie, "She healed Charlie and saved Modo from getting swallowed."
"I know but I'd rather not take this one at face value. She knew too much and there was too much that she just wasn't willing to reveal. My gut's just telling me to take it slow and watch."
"Hmmph, seems logical enough.... All right Throttle I'll do it your way." Charlie agreed.
"Vinnie?"
"Sounds like a plan," Vinnie confirmed.
"Modo?" There was no response. "Do you agree Modo?" Modo seemed to be concentrating on the road, his mind was focused somewhere else. "MODO!"
"Huh? Oh uh yeah sure bro whatever you say."
"Good now lets go home, I'm beat."

***


The hidden sun was casting pink fingers of light into the gray morning sky as it sleepily and slowly pulled itself over the horizon. A figure dressed in white slipped into a dark door leading from the alley into a basement diner. It was deserted except for a fat man in a fake beard, purple suit and hat. He approached the man and slid into his booth.
"I have come as you requested your supreme spreadable cheesiness." the first wheezed
"Good give me your progress report," the man said his beady eyes flashing from underneath the broad brim of his hat.
"Greasepit and his goons have been captured. It looks like there's a new player in the game. They took a girl hostage and she used some kind of power to make the trees grow and tangle them."
"I should like to meet this girl. Any news on the biker mice."
"They seem to have joined up with this girl. I saw them at her house last night. They made plans to meet at one of the parks this morning."
"Good keep a low profile and keep away from the tower I don't need any more attention than I already have. Just watch, report to our spies and wait for orders. With any luck she won't get in the way of my plans," said the man in the purple suite.
"I don't think you'll dissuade this one with luck," a voice came from the shadows. Both turned to see a tall man step into the open. He was dark with sharp features and black hair. Half his face was hidden by a beard and mustache. The most outstanding feature about him was his top hat and tuxedo under a long black cape. "My name is Jevier. I'm an officer of the IFCA, interdimenional felon collection Agency. I've been hunting this one down for ages and I know she's a tricky little vixen. She's slipped through my fingers more than once. From what I've heard she's causing you a little trouble." Jevier said slipping a picture of Jeanie onto the table.
"That's her!" said the man in white.
"My name is Limburger, owner and operator of Limburger enterprises. This is my associate Dr Karbunkle. As a pillar of the community I would very much like to help you capture this and a few other miscreants." Limburger slid a picture of the biker mice onto the table. "They are illegal aliens on this planet. They have no regard for the local laws and thus far they have destroyed my office and home more times than I can count!" Limburger was almost shouting.
"Very well. I will expect your men to be standing by when I make my move." Jevier said, tipping his hat in goodbye as disappeared into the shadows again.

***


They had arranged to meet at the park on the edge of town the next morning. In a secluded clearing beside a small river. Jeanie decided to come a bit early to swim. She hadn't swam in a real river for a long time. As soon as Troth touched down she flung herself off her back and began striping down to her bathing suit. Trodar came too but he had no intention of going in the water. Saying that his wing feathers always dried funny after soaking and that lying in the sun was much more fun. Trothina however had begged to come along and swim. She had given up on the garden pool after she had grown too big to fit through the door. Now she lay cross ways to the current on her back, damning up the river. Jeanie was using her tail as a diving boar and frolicking in the water with the dragonets who had come home with Rowina sometime late last night.
After a half hour of this they all got tired and pulled themselves up onto the dragon's belly to dry off. She fingered her stubby green bat wings and remembered how much pain she had gone through the day she got them. How she had begged Talmor to cut them off. When he did they grew back and didn't stop until they had grown from hand sized things that could be hidden under her hair to massive unconcealable wings that reached from her waist to her head. They were now cramped after being squashed under her shirt for so long so she let them spread out as she sprawled out in the sun. How long she had been there she didn't know but she was awakened by the sound of engines roaring in the distance.
Your new friends are coming, she heard Binxes thoughts in her head.
"Yes I know." Jeanie got up and ran to wrap her blanket around her. She didn't have time to change so this would have to do.

When they arrived they found a soaking wet Jeanie wrapped in a blanket waiting for them.
"How's the water?" asked Charlie as soon as she got off Vinnie's bike.
"Freezing," Jeaie lied.
"Damn, oh well it might warm up by lunch.
Lunch! Jeanie thought. She hadn't really thought of staying THAT long. After all Talmor promised he'd be over around that time.
Vinnie noticed something green against the blue background of Jeanie's blanket. He figured she had sat on a leaf before they came and didn't notice it was stuck to her when she got up.
"Hey Jeanie," he said reaching out out to the leaf, "you got something stuck to your leg." He gave it a good tug.
Before Jeanie could get a better grip on her blanket or say anything he had pulled her blanket right off. Everybody stared at her gape mouthed as she stood in the middle of the glade, wings hanging limply down to her calves. It took her a few seconds but she managed to gather herself together enough to stop feeling like the cornered fox. Slowly she drew her wings into her and caped them around her shoulders. She didn't bother to pull her blanket around her, after all they had learned another of her secrets they might as well get used to this one.
Throttle was about to say something when Jeanie cut him off. "No I wasn't born with these. They're," she paused for a long time trying to think of what to say that would be the truth yet not too much of it, "an old battle wound." she finished softly.
"Can you fly?" Chalie winced as she asked. It was a stupid question and probably brought up bad memories but it had popped out of her mouth before she could stop herself.
"Not with these. They're too small to support my weight. I tried once and I broke both my legs on touchdown."
"Ouch," Throttle said sympathetically.
The conversation went on all morning and when ever the questions got too close to the edge one of the dragonets would do or say something funny and everyone would stop to pay attention to them and return back to talking and totally forget what the conversation was about. This kept things rolling along smoothly for Jeanie and the little one were loving all the attention they were getting.
Finally lunchtime came and Jeanie was beginning to think of heading back. She picked up he clothes and slipped them into the side carrier of Troth's harness. Troth immediately threw herself out of the water and lay in the middle of the clearing waiting for Jeanie to slip the harness over her neck.
"Leaving so soon?" Modo asked looking up from his fishing.
"Yeah, dragon's getting hungry." Jeanie replied clipping the last buckle.
"We've got a lot here," said Charlie opening her picnic basket.
A horsy laugh echoed across the glade as Trodar stepped forward. "Do you have enough for a dragon and four little trash compactors? Don't look astonished. I may be from a less developed world than yours but I have traveled to many places and learned many things. You cannot possibly expect a soul to remain nieve after all that can you?"
"No I suppose not," Charlie felt like she was talking to her third grade teacher and again felt the compulsion to add "sir."
"I will stay and sup with you though I should like to learn more about this world."
As soon as Jeanie and Binxe were on board Troth hopped once and sucked up by a warm air current.
"See ya!" Jeanie shouted as she was carried away.

***


Trodar Didn't eat anything as he said he would saying he much preferred dragonberries and apples to hotdogs. He did stay and listen to Charlie tell him about Plutarkians, Martians and generally how things went in her world.
On their way home they were stopped by a man. He stood in the middle of the street and stared at them as they skidded to a stop in front of him. He was dressed in a tuxedo and cape.
"Good day lady and gentle men, Trodar," Jevier said tipping his top hat. "As one of you all ready knows, my name is Jevier. I'm an officer of the Interdimensional Felon Collection Agency. I'm looking for this person," he flashed a picture of Jeanie. "She's a vigilante charged with numerous cases of assault with a deadly weapon, destruction of public and private property, arson..."
"That's a lie!!" Trodar cut in, "Most of those were caused by your people. She didn't do anything!"
"Silence creature! Your already in over your head." he pointed a finger at Trodar and an invisible force sent him tumbling back fifty feet, Charlie still clutching to his back.
"I thought she was one of the good guys," said Modo.
"Well she's not. I understand you have hooked up with her though. Gained her trust. It is your duty to this universe to help me capture her. It seems that chaos follows where ever she goes, I'd hate to anything happen to this beautiful planet."
The bros looked at each other for a moment, not knowing whether to believe him or not. "We'd like to talk it over for a moment," Throttle said.
Jevier looked at them with a disapproving frown, "All right I suppose, but don't take too long. This planet can't afford for her to get away again."
They huddled for a few minutes and when they came out Modo looked disappointed. "We'll help you." said Throttle a little reluctantly.
"Where's Charlie?" Vinnie asked looking back to where she and Trodar had landed.
"Gone with Trodar. No doubt to warn Jeanie. We need to get her away from their evil influences as quickly as possible. Unless you want your friend to be a brainwashed puppet when you get your hands on her again.
"What do we have to do?" asked Vinnie.

***

CONTINUED IN PART II