Disclaimer: The BMFM are property of what ever company founded them, Centerline in property of JWC, Diesel is property of Sapphire Chase, Knight and Streak are property of Tek. No Copyright infringement was intended.

Note to JWC and KLH: I loved both of your stories that they inspired me, and I had to write one of my own, I'm sorry if I used your basic plot.
Tek

Daylight and Darkness

Part IV The Rat Fights And Runs Away, Lives To Fight Another Day

By Tek

copyrighted 1997 Tek and TEK Productions


 

Mars, Olympia Mons, Camp 27

Maybe it's better this way?
That thought had crossed Centerline's mind more than once, but as he followed Chase, Streak, and Stoker out of the cell block, he found himself mulling even more about it. The day had not gone well for him and Stoker, it had started as a freak sandstorm, which he was beginning to thing was not an accident, then meeting Streak and Chase, after thinking them dead. That might be the only daylight in this darkness. Or maybe not, once Stoker finishes with the camp, he'll start thinking about his Lullaby. His wife. Stoker's poor Lullaby. Way to much for me to handle, better to concentrate on freeing the prisoners. Deal with the rest when it comes up. The four of them rushed out into the bright sunlight of the complex, only to be greeted by a dozen high powered blasters. All wining with unused power. He gulped.
"Problem!" Stoker dived out of the way of the first blast. "Everyone scramble!" he yelled to the other three mice.
Centerline, Chase and Streak jumped out of the way of the blaster fire. Centerline landed on one knee, he spun around stretching out his right leg to trip an oncoming rat. The rat staggered a second as Centerline's boot hit his shines and then promptly fell down in the dust, blaster firing aimlessly. Centerline ducked the blaster and then turned his attention to the next four rats in 'line' to make friends with his fist. Streak jumped back out of the way of the first blast and before the second could be fired she leapt forward into a somersault, to coming up to hit the rat hard and fast. She slammed the palm of her hand into the rat's solar plexus, knocking the wind out of him, and sending him flying to the ground. She then rolled back to her feet in one neat flick of her tail, only to be grabbed from behind by another rat.
"Lego!" She reached behind her to grab the rat by the scruff of his neck and pull him to the ground, he then let go.
Stoker landed on his shoulder from his dive and rolled into the feet of another rat snagging his leg with his tail as he went, taking the rat to the ground next to him, he leapt on the rat's chest and took him out in one punch. He pulled himself to his feet. Then upon the arrival of another rat from behind, Stoker flew a spin kick around landing the heel of his boot in the rat's forehead. The hard soled boot left a welt in the rat's fur.
Ouch!
The rat went down next to the first. Stoker gave him a shiner and then looked up trying to see Chase. He found his son fending off two rats, actually holding his own quite well against the rats. Kids got potential. Chase took one of the rats down by hoisting him over his back in a judo throw, this unfortunately left him open for the other rat to run for his open side. Stoker hit the rat from going after his son, with a flying kick, to the head. Chase gasped. "Thanks Dad" he grinned. Stoker grinned back and was about to take the rat that had just snuck up behind them when Centerline landed on the rat and pummeled his head into the ground. Stoker and Chase stood back as Streak took down the last rat with a kick to the hip and a punch to the neck.
God knows where she learned all those pressure points. Probably with RedCell or SEAL.
"Ok lets find the main power" Stoker looked up from the downed rat and at the prison complex. It was a huge gray building, doors on both sides, both guarded heavily, Stoker took note of this before giving any orders:"Lets move, Streak, you and Centerline take the left entrance, me and Chase will take the right" he said and started a broken advance towards the building, Streak, Chase and Centerline followed him.

***

Ravine Mons

Kickstart stared at the huge black bike, he had found out earlier that it didn't like him. It really didn't like him. The bike sat in the middle of the garage, it's sides glistening in with water from a hose down, he had repaired the engine, and filled the tank with gas. Then he had left Rimfire to get the bike to cooperate with them. The bike still didn't like him, but it hadn't attacked him yet so he decided that Rimfire had persuaded the bike to work with him. Diesel sat on a nearby storage crate looking at Kickstart arguing with the bike, the very bad tempered bike. Altogether it was a very funny spectacle. Diesel tried to keep from laughing at him. She didn't succeed.
"What?" Kickstart looked up irritably.
"Nothing" she replied.

***

Carbine stood in the center of the room, with a map of Olympia in front of her on a table, three worried mice next to the table, a short stuff general on the other side of her and a Terran who was probably going to have a nervous breakdown if she didn't do something fast. Something she was doing right now.
"This is where they had the stake out" she pointed to a point right below the Mon. "And this is where we lost their trackers" here Carbine pointed to another location higher on Olympia.
"Lost?" Throttle looked up, he looked very worn out.
"Lost" Carbine affirmed.
"Fizzed out, Nada, zipo" Knight made a motion with his saber to illustrate the point. Modo ducked as the blade whizzed through the air.
"General Knight, please, don't try to make bad jokes, that's Vinnie's job" Modo recovered from the saber and looked annoyed.
Vinnie glared at him.
"Then lets go the Olympia" Charlie interrupted the glaring match, "I need to know if my brothers alive" she looked grief stricken. I don't blame her. In response to this Throttle got up, yawned, stretched his back and said, with apparent calm, only present in Throttle: "well bros Charlie-girl need our help so lets do the old Rock and......." He stopped waiting for the response.
".....And Ride!" it came, loud and enthusiastic as usual.
He, Vinnie and Modo rushed out the door, Carbine started to say something about a battle plan, but stopped. They'll figure it out as they go along. The bros always do. Charlie sat exhausted on a nearby seat and Knight could hear her hold back sobs. He stood up to comfort her, Carbine stopped him.
"It'd be better if she figured this out, alone" she said holding the short dusty mouse back. Knight snorted and shoved past her and sat down next to Charlie. He said something in her ear and she nodded, smiling slightly. They'll be all right. I know it.

***

Camp 27

Streak squinted against the bright light shinning down on the complex. It had been so long since she had held a blaster, or any other kind of weapon for that matter. Still, it felt good to hold the cold metal in her hands. It felt good to be back with her friends. It was good to see Centerline again. She looked up as she saw Stokers hand waving from behind a wall. Centerline stood up getting ready to rush the guards. Streak stood next to him in the cool shadow of the building. On the other side of the complex grounds Chase knelt behind Stoker, his dad. God, how long had has it been? Two, three, four years? The young mouse sighed. Maybe me and dad can pick up the pieces and start over again? Maybe not?
"Come on son, lets not keep Streak and Centerline waiting" Stoker taped Chase on the shoulder with his tail. Chase nodded. His father's tail felt cold, hard, and metallic, so cold.
The two rats that stood around the door were apparently the better of the officers, they stood tight to attention on the sides of the door. Well ain't we lucky! Stoker picked up a handful of dust and tossed it out from his hiding place behind the wall in front of the two guards. The little dust storm had the desired effect, distracting the guards just enough for Chase and Stoker to make their way around them and into the complex. Not without knocking the guards out from behind mind you. On the other side of the complex the guards were equally stiff and to attention, but Streak and Centerline were not so much the fans of silence as Stoker and Chase. They were more likely to bash their way through, which was actually what they did right here. The two guards may have been standing stiff to attention, but it doesn't mean they would have time to react to two big black and white mice bearing down on them full speed, and so Centerline and Streak entered the complex.
Streak looked up at the arching roof. "lets get to the main power" she said and beckoned Centerline along the hallways.
"You know where it is?" Centerline looked down at the blaster he had acquired from the rat.
"Uh-huh," Streak nodded. "I saw it when they first captured me and Chase" she stopped on a wall as a platoon stomped by leading, a chain gang of mice. "This way" she continued down along the gray corridors.
"We should find Stoker" Centerline grabbed Streak's shoulder, holding her back next to him.
"And how are supposed to find him? We don't have any COMs" Streak turned around towards Centerline.
"We'll find them" he replied confidently and started down the hallway. Now it was Streak's turn to look bewildered.
Stoker and Chase unfortunately did not know where the main power was, so he and Chase were a little lost. Stoker stood by the corner of a hallway, Chase stood looking slightly uncomfortable behind him. The older mouse stood erect on the corner listening to the sounds of and around the hallway:
Click.Bump.
Wheeze.
Cough.
Click.
Bump. Wheeze.
Cough. Click.
Bump.
Wheeze. Cough.
Bloom!
(Repeat.)
(Repeat.)
They continued on and on. Stoker knew that the sounds meant something, he just didn't know what.
Repairs?
Prisoners?
Troops?
A way out?
A generator, that it!
Stoker grabbed a zoned out Chase my the arm and dragged him down one of the corridors. Unknown to him he was converging with Centerline and Streak on the main power of Camp 27.

***

Somewhere near Olympia Mons, in the desert

Vinnie spat as Knight's bike in front of him shot sand up to his helmet. I'm getting soft. I wouda seen that comin' if I wasn't used to pavement. The six of them were going to Mons. Six as in: his bros, General Knight, General Carbine and a female mouse called Tracer that Carbine had insisted they bring. For training experience Carbine had said. Yeah right! Vinnie grimaced as more sand sprayed up, he swerved to avoid the sand almost crashing into a rock as he did so.
"Hey!"
Did I mention that Tracer was ridding on the back of his bike?
"Sorry sweetheart" Vinnie managed to get through clenched teeth. Usually he would have been pleased to have a female behind him on his bike, especially one of his own spices. But not today, today he was to worried. Today was for Charlene Davidson.

***

Camp 27

Streak looked up at the ceiling warily. Centerline followed her gaze.
"What is it?" he asked as they walked slowly down the hallway, only stopping to avoid the chain gangs and troops.
"Nothing" she looked down from the ceiling "just a little nervous tick I have" she grinned at him, and started to walk faster towards their goal.
"Wait there are Stoker and Chase" Centerline stopped her, he waved quickly at the two brown mice coming up from the other direction, they rushed over to them.
"That worked" Stoker stopped to say and looked pleased with himself.
"Good, theres the main power" Streak broke Stoker's glory trip, she pointed to a door nearby, a door that was barred and locked. Not much of a problem, right? No Problem.
The four charged on the door in a standard cavalry fashion. Crash! The door gave way under their collective force. And there was the main power generator, big dark and loud, a very old model, loud clanks, bumps and clicks emitting from every conceivable opening and crevice.
"Shouldn't be to hard to shut down" Stoker stopped in front of what was apparently a main control for the generator. He sat down in front of it. "Now to overload this thing!" Stoker cracked his knuckles.
"How?" Centerline, leaned over Stokers back.
"Simple, what does this do?" Stoker just randomly found a lever and pulled it.
"Stoker you are the king of cliches" Streak jumped back as sparks flew from a panel by her shoulder.
"Ain't I?" Stoker grinned and selected another,red, leaver. This was apparently a control for the amount of power being released to the camp. When the lever was pulled down, the generator stopped releasing the energy to the rest of Camp 27, resulting in a massive buildup of energy in the generator, An overload.
"Lets get out of here!" Chase yelled as the generator started to shake and smoke.
"Good plan!" Stoker jumped up, he grabbed Streak and Centerline by the shoulders. "Lets get out of here!" They ran out of the room. Towards the exit of the complex.
Outside it was chaos! The overload of the generator apparently opened the cells of the POWs. Everyone had the same thing in mind: getting out of there. And they did.
And Camp 27 exploded.

***

Farther away

Riche took the binoculars off his eyes as he looked at the mushroom cloud that had been his work camp.
"The rat who fights and runs away lives to fight another day" he said and headed back into his ship.

***

Below Olympia Mons

The six mice arrived just in time to see a mushroom cloud erupt off the top and sides of Olympia Mons.
"What the hell!?" Throttle's bike stopped in a spray of sand.
He looked up as four figures made their way down the side of the Mon.
"Looks like the cavalry arrived fashionably late like usual" a familiar voice came from on of the figures. "Go figure, we already blew the place up!"
It was Stoker,and Centerline, two other mice followed him. One younger than Rimfire the other all black with a white stripe in her hair.
"Hey! They're ok!" Vinnie yelled and threw himself off his bike.
This was a cue to wrestle.

***

Ravine Mons

Charlie sat on a crate looking very uncomfortable with herself, that was to be expected. She was worried. Kickstart was trying to deal with a black bike that had come in a little while ago and apparently didn't like him. Really didn't like him. Diesel sat next to her, she had assured Charlie that everyone would be all right. That was kinda hard to believe since they weren't here. Charlie's train of thought was interrupted by loud roaring and revving of engines, whooping, and general chaos outside. The bike gave up on Kickstart and rushed out.
"I think their back" Diesel brushed herself off and helped Charlie get up.
They were back. Back with a few additions. Stoker and Centerline were there and so were the bros, General Knight had even cast off his intellectual stature as was just as rowdy as the rest of them. Her brother was there, a little rough around the edges, but there. Stoker and Vinnie were arguing about some obscure point on the journey, and even now there were two new additions to the company: A small copy of Stoker with short hair. Probably an exact replica of what Stoker looked like when he was in high school, and a large black mouse with a white stripe in her hair who was engaged in a macho of arm wrestling with Centerline. Neither one was winning. Their arms seemed to be stuck upright.
"Jayce!" Charlie shrieked and flung herself at her brother. " I was so worried!" She hung on to his neck. The surprise started him to lose concentration the arm wrestling and he let go.
"Does this mean I win, Centerline?" The black mouse looked up warily at Centerline and Charlie.
"Shut up Streak!" Centerline looked at the black mouse. At the same time he picked up his little sister and hugged her. Charlie buried her face in her brothers soft fur.
"Sorry," she looked down. "Jayce?" she started back up.
"My original name" Centerline said unconcerned, and placed Charlie gently back on the ground.
"Oh" Streak looked down again.
"That Allison"Centerline pointed to the black mouse, that he had distinctively called Streak before.
"I thought her name was Streak?" Charlie looked up at her brother.
"It is" he replied.
And before the conversation could continue Carbine looked up from a COM she had been consulting.
"Throttle, you shouldn't have left Terra in such a hurry! Adrenalin says that Limburger is trying to take over Chicago with fast food" she yelled over to Throttle.
"Fast food?" he stopped yelling and slipped his shades down his nose.
"Fast food? And lots of it" Carbine shrugged.
Throttle grabbed Vinnie and Modo by the shoulders "Come on bros, lets go." Vinnie grabbed Charlie with his tail and Modo beckoned to Streak and Centerline.
"You to haven't been back to Terra in a while" he said.

The End